An Insanely Simple DIY

Have you ever found a vintage purse you love but unfortunately it has a damaged or missing handle?  Or maybe you just want to breathe new life into an old stand-by.  I have a super easy fix for you. 

You will need:
- Basic jewelry tools
- Vintage purse
- Vintage chain necklace

I found this vintage alligator purse at the antique store for $12.  It is in really nice condition but was just a little "ho hum".  I decided to jazz it up a bit with a new chain handle.


I found this heavy chain necklace at a local thrift store for $6 and detached the clasp. It was a little "pricey" if you ask me, but it does have a nice hefty feeling and all of the proceeds go to a local animal shelter. 


I then opened the two remaining jump rings and did a test run of the chain on the purse.  Adding the new chain required me to cut off the old handle and I didn't want to ruin a perfectly good purse if I wasn't going to like the end result.


I decided I did like it so I went ahead and added the new chain.  I feel like I jazzed it up a bit and now it looks a little more expensive.  Easy peasy.


If you would like to try something similar, I found this vintage alligator purse on Etsy for a little over $20 with shipping and these plastic fish bone chains on Ebay.  Please note, the hardware on the chain is silver, but you can easily switch those out for gold jump rings.

Comments